Different Approaches. Incredible Visualizations.
Although the terms are often used interchangeably, there is a difference between the different approaches in this emerging space of visualization.
- Virtual Reality is also known as immersive multimedia or computer-simulated reality. As the name implies, it fills your senses with a simulated world. It is often implemented utilizing 3D immersive video walls, like the Clarity Matrix 3D video wall system, or head-mounted or wearable devices, leveraging mobile display technologies. This approach replicates an environment, either a real one captured with 360-degree camera technology or an imagined one rendered using 3D graphics programs. These systems are growing in popularity for gaming, simulation, or other visualization applications, where you are placed in the center of the action. The Clarity® Matrix® 3D LCD video wall system allows for the creation of immersive virtual reality installations resembling a scene from a science fiction film while allowing for high-resolution imagery and multi-user application support.
- Augmented Reality is the addition of computer-generated sound, video, graphics, or data onto a real-world, physical environment. Rather than a fully immersive virtual world created by virtual reality, augmented reality provides background data on real-world views to create new experiences. Imagine watching sports at a stadium and seeing the latest player statistics above the players. Imagine getting “pop up” information that adds a layer of education to a museum exhibit or event. There are a number of ways to implement this technically and one of the most exciting and accessible is the use of transparent displays, like the Planar® LookThru® OLED transparent display which allows for headset-free augmented reality as computer-generated or playback is over-layed onto the physical environment or objects behind the display glass.
- Mixed Reality is sometimes referred to as hybrid reality or hyper-reality. It combines real and virtual worlds to product environments and visualizations where physical and digital objects co-exist and might interact in real time. It encompasses both augmented reality and augmented virtuality. Imagine watching a sporting event for an imagined game or team (like a Quidditch match right out of a JK Rowling Harry Potter novel, for instance) in an actual physical stadium where spectators would buy tickets. Imagine walking through a virtual aquarium in a biology classroom to experience the species up close and to see the food chain in action. Imagine seeing news stories and headlines appear in front of an active newsroom on a broadcast set. Some of these applications can be achieved by using the Planar LookThru OLED transparent display, especially in a video wall or tiled configuration.
With these various approaches all developing rapidly, it is no wonder the category is exciting and expected to grow.
New Applications Across a Variety of Markets
From retail showrooms to academic research, the demand for AR, VR, and MR technologies are garnering industry attention. Beyond consumer gaming applications, we expect a variety of professional applications that will require the capabilities and quality that you have come to expect from Leyard in our pioneering history in displays. Market applications range from ecommerce to real estate, training to simulation, collaboration to presentation, engineering to architecture, healthcare to entertainment, and many more. Many companies are focused on consumer applications for the technology, where people in their homes or out in the community might be using AR or VR for entertainment. Although very compelling, we also see amazing opportunities to utilize the technology for commercial purposes. In a recent competition, the Clear Concept Awards, sponsored by SEGD, DSE, and Planar, a Leyard company, the winning applicants saw applicability of the technology across a variety of other commercial spaces. Successful applications of the Clarity Matrix 3D LCD video wall have occurred in academic institutions, commercial, and government settings where new visualization experiences are being pioneered.
Experience Creates Empathy and Memories
A great deal of research is being done by companies and academic institutions to determine the benefits of using these technologies in storytelling applications of all types and the results are compelling and consistent: a deeper and more immersive experience leads to greater engagement with the story, greater empathy to the message, and build stronger memories of the experience. The “you had to be there” kind of experiences that used to require travel or extensive expense or commitment can now be experienced virtually with amazing results. Corporate brands, non-profit agencies, educational institutions, and the like are all considering how these platforms will enhance their ability to inform and inspire.
Visualizing Display Products in Augmented Reality
The PlanarView™ Visualization App is a first-of-a-kind augmented reality tool that transforms the way people envision and plan their commercial display environments. The free mobile app makes it possible to virtually design and visualize display solutions into a user’s real-world environment. Utilizing the latest augmented reality technology, the app enables customers to overlay LED and LCD displays and video walls - including Leyard® TWA Series, Leyard® TVH Series, Clarity® Matrix® LCD video wall systems, and Planar® UltraRes™ - on top of photos of their actual spaces, design product arrays and provides a truly realistic and professional visualization of their designs.
The free app, available for download on the Apple iTunes App store, enables users to create high-quality, intuitive visualizations in three simple steps:
- Take a photo of the space
Users of the app can quickly take a photo of a space from their mobile device by tapping the “create” button from the home screen and photographing the environment. They can then add scale and proportion by outlining the corners of their space and using a slider to indicate the dimensions.
- Select and configure digital displays
Users can scroll through a list of products to determine which Planar displays they want and then add them to their environment. They can add products in any arrangement to bring their customized design to life by adding video content across their display configurations to add a dimension of realism.
- Save, edit and share their designs
Once satisfied with their design, users can save it, retrieving it from their mobile devices at any time. The augmented reality app allows users to share designs via e-mail and Facebook, and quickly obtain quotes for their configurations. Customers can also obtain instant product information about specific Leyard and Planar-branded displays.
PlanarView is available for iPad® and iPhone® and requires iOS 8.3 or later.
For Leyard investors looking for additional information about Leyard’s strategic investments, contact Investor Relations.
For more information on how Leyard’s offerings, like Planar LookThru OLED transparent displays and Clarity Matrix 3D LCD video walls, can help you achieve your goals, contact your local account manager or fill out the form above.
All trademarks are property of their respective owners. All rights reserved.